The City Court is a court of record that processes civil, criminal, traffic, and juvenile matters. It is the goal of the court to provide the citizens of the Seventh Ward with efficient and convenient access to justice.
The City Court Divisions
City Court of Hammond
FINS Division Hammond
FINS Division Ponchatoula
Monday – Friday
City Court jurisdiction includes all of the 7th Ward from:
Motion to Set Aside Conviction and Dismiss Prosecution
Rule to Show Cause
Order of Dismissal
Motion for Fee Exemption – Certification of Fee Waiver
Motion for Expungement
Affidavit of Response
Order of Expungement of Arrest Conviction Record
Supplemental Sheet of Arrests that did not result in conviction (L)
Supplemental Sheet of Misdemeanor Convictions (L)
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU COME TO CRIMINAL OR TRAFFIC COURT:
- What payment methods do you accept for payment of fines, fees and court costs?
- City Court accepts Cash, Money Orders, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Card. NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED. A payment by mail postmarked AFTER your court appearance date must include an additional $125 fee. Credit card payments can also be made through the City Court website www.citycourt.org.
- Can I bring my cell phone to court?
- No Cell Phones are allowed in the building while Court is in session.
- What do I wear to court?
- No shorts, tank tops, flip flops or mini dresses are allowed in the court room.
- Do I have to pay my fines the day I come to court?
- You are expected to make a payment on your Fines and Court Cost the day you come to court. Failure to pay your fines timely will result in a warrant being issued for your arrest and your Driver’s License number will also be sent to the Department of Public Safety to be flagged for suspension.
- Can the Clerk of Court personnel help me with answers to legal questions?
- Any legal questions you wish answered prior to your appearance in court should be addressed to your attorney. Court and Clerk’s office personnel are prohibited by law and order of the court from giving legal advice.
- How do I request a foreign Language Interpreter or Deaf/Hearing Impaired Assistance?
- Contact the Clerk of Court, Guy Recotta, Jr., at 985-542-3455.
- Examples of Allowed Clear Bags
The Traffic Division of the City Court presides over cases when a person is issued a traffic ticket by the Hammond Police Department, the Southeastern Louisiana Univeristy Police Department and perhaps the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office, or the Louisiana State Police.For your convenience, you may handle many traffic violations by mail. If your citation is for one of the violations listed below, mail your ticket along with a money order (no personal checks accepted) to City Court of Hammond, 303 East Thomas Street, Hammond, LA 70401. If the violation is not listed, you may call 542-3455 for more information. It still may be possible to avoid a court appearance.
The Payment processor will add a processing fee to your fine to cover the cost of your payment. You will be given your full payment amount prior to completing your transaction.PAY TICKETS ONLINE
Below is a partial list of violations that are payable to the City Court of Hammond. If you cannot locate your violation below please call the court for the price of the ticket.
|VIOLATION CODE||VIOLATION||AMOUNT DUE|
|14:100||Hit and Run||$543.00|
|14-5||Parking In Fire Lane||$211.00|
|20-59||Parking in a Handicapped Zone||$535.00|
|21-120.6||Loud Music – 1st offense||$253.00|
|21-120.6||Loud Music – 2nd offense||$353.00|
|21-120.6||Loud Music – 3rd offense||$653.00|
|21-98||Driving While Intoxicated||MUST APPEAR|
|32:56||Obedience to weights and standards||$308.00|
|32:58||Careless Operation without an accident||$183.00|
|32:58||Careless Operation with an accident||$263.00|
|32:78||Wrong Way on One Way||$183.00|
|32:78||Wrong Way on One Way with an accident||$263.00|
|32:81||Following to Close||$183.00|
|32:81||Following to Close with an accident||$263.00|
|32:101||Improper Turning with an accident||$263.00|
|32:101||Improper Turning without an accident||$183.00|
|32:105||Improper Turn Signal/Brake Lights||$183.00|
|32:123||Ran a Stop Sign||$183.00|
|32:123||Ran a Stop Sign with an accident||$263.00|
|32:124||Failure to Yield||$183.00|
|32:124||Failure to Yield with an accident||$263.00|
|32:125||Failure to Yield to an Emergency Vehicle||$233.00|
|32:1304||Expired Motor Vehicle Inspection Sticker||$168.00|
|32:1308||False/Switched Motor Vehicle Inspection Sticker||$258.00|
|32:172||Ran Stop Sign at a Railroad Crossing||$183.00|
|32:232||Ran a Red Light||$183.00|
|32:232||Ran a Red Light with an accident||$263.00|
|32:295||No Child Restraint||$100.00|
|32:295||No Child Restraint-Second Offense||$250.00|
|32:295||No Child Restraint-Third Offense||$633.00|
|32:295.1||No Seat Belt||$50.00|
|32:295.1||No Seat Belt-Second Offense||$75.00|
|32:295.1||No Seat Belt-Third Offense||$115.00|
|32:300.5||Texting While Driving||$283.00|
|32:361.1||Illegal Window Tint||$183.00|
|32:378.2||Driving with a Restricted License||$383.00|
|32:398||Failure to Report an Accident||$183.00|
|32:411||No Drivers License on Person||$183.00|
|32:412||Expired Drivers License||$183.00|
|32:415||Driving Under Suspension||$283.00|
|32:51||No License Plate||$208.00|
|32:52||No Drivers License||$258.00|
|32:53||No Motor Vehicle Inspection Sticker||$183.00|
|32:80||Passing a Stopped School Bus||$233.00|
|32:863.1||No Proof of Insurance||$233.00|
|47:508||Expired License Plate||$208.00|
|47:519||Misuse of Temporary License Plate||$208.00|
|47:536.8||Switched License Plate||$333.00|
|MPH OVER LIMIT||AMOUNT DUE||MPH OVER LIMIT (SCHOOL ZONE)||AMOUNT DUE|
|35+||MUST APPEAR||35+||MUST APPEAR|
303 E. Thomas St. Hammond LA, 70401
The following fees are for one defendant only in 7th Ward
|*(includes fee to 7th Ward Marshal)|
|Small Claims Suits||$109.50|
|Small Claims Judgment Debtor Rule||$75.00|
|Sequestrations Executory Process||$295.00||*|
|Small Claims Garnishments||$180.00||*|
|Third Party Demand||$135.00|
|Motion & Rule for Possession||$159.50|
|Motion & Rule for Possession w/Service of Notice to Vacate made by the Court||$202.50|
|New Suit (no service)||$175.00|
|Civil Judgment Debtor Rule||$80.00|
|Civil Revival of Judgment||$160.00|
|Small Claims Revival of Judgment||$65.00|
Each Additional Service
For additional services or service outside 7th Ward, please call for price.
You must supply us with all service copies and return copies or you will be charged for copies at the above rate.
Notice of Disclaimer:
The CITY COURT OF HAMMOND assumes no liability for the accuracy or completeness of any of the information contained on this web site. This information is provided as a public service for convenience purposes only. Reliance upon the accuracy or completeness of the information contained herein is at the user’s risk. Users are strongly encouraged to make every effort to verify the accuracy and/or completeness of the information before reliance thereon.
303 EAST THOMAS STREET
HAMMOND, LA 70401
- Mail payment (money order or cashiers check) to the City Court of Hammond, 303 East Thomas Street, Hammond, Louisiana 70401. Include ticket number and driver’s license number with payment.
- Pay in person at City Court of Hammond, 303 East Thomas Street, Hammond, Louisiana 70401. Cash, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, Debit Cards, money orders and cashier checks are accepted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Pay online at www.citycourt.org
- You must appear at the City Court of Hammond on your assigned court date as shown on your citation.
- For all citations, except those involving an accident or driving under the influence (DUI), the officer will be present in court and you will have your trial on that date. This is a One Time Court Appearance.
- If you wish to have witness(es) subpoenaed to be present, you must furnish names and addresses IN WRITING to the City Court of Hammond, 303 East Thomas Street, Hammond, Louisiana 70401 at least 15 days prior to your court date.
- Operating the motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances (DUI)
- Exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph or more
- Exceeding the speed limit in a school zone
- Passing a stopped school bus
- Driving with a suspended license
- Drag racing
- No Proof of Compulsory Insurance
…reaching out to children and their families.
The Juvenile Services Division of the City Court of Hammond is composed of several different services working together to aid the young people and their families of the 7th Ward. These services are designed to identify risk factors leading to problem behavior, intervene when such factors are present, and to prevent further criminal behavior. Working together with schools, parents, mental health agencies, the Department of Children and Family Services, and law enforcement, the JSD of the City Court of Hammond is making a positive and lasting impact on the juveniles it reaches.
Hammond, LA 70401 Phone: 985.542.3457
…because prevention is the best cure.
FINS is an early intervention program designed to prevent at risk youth from committing an offense which would put him/her in juvenile justice court. FINS brings together resources needed to help families with at risk youth live more productively. The City Court of Hammond encourages cooperation among service providers, while at all times, preserving the dignity of the family. Through FINS, children and their families have the opportunity to access services which directly address the underlying causes of pre-delinquent behavior.
What Does FINS Provide?
- Support and Education for Parents and Youth
- Community Service
- Case Management/Monitoring
- Law Related Education
- Intervention Planning
- Information and Referral
- Referrals for wraparound services, individual/family counseling, MST counseling
- Drug Screening
- Referrals for substance abuse assessment/counseling
- Educational Planning/truancy monitoring
How Does FINS Work?
The FINS process begins with a written referral, submitted to the City Court of Hammond FINS Office, identifying the FINS ground the child or family meets. Anyone may file a complaint, however it is most common that the law enforcement or school officials and parents/guardians make the referrals. Grounds for such a referral are that a child is allegedly truant, willful and repeated violation of school rules, ungovernable, a runaway, in possession/consumption of intoxicating beverages or illegal substances, has broken curfew, caretaker is failing to provide for the child, caretaker willfully failed to attend school meetings, or a caretaker is contributing to the child’s problematic behavior.
Once a referral is received, the family is expected to cooperate with efforts to resolve its problems as recommended by FINS. If these recommendations are not followed, FINS may refer the family to court for a FINS conference and/or a hearing before the judge.
What Are Some Advantages of FINS?
- Enhances family functioning.
- Early intervention with resource provision.
- Facilitates the receipt of needed services.
- Coordinates the cooperation of the community and its resources.
- Decreases involvement in the Judicial System.
The mission of the City Court of Hammond Families In Need of Services program is to intervene with families by providing coordinated community resources in an effort to prevent delinquency and family disintegration. We will facilitate the family’s cooperation with needed services in an effort to improve the integrity of each family and the dignity of each individual with whom we work.
Hammond, LA 70401Phone: 985.543.3290
The Juvenile Services Division assists the Court in monitoring orders of Bench Probation. The Officer assures that the offender/family performs all orders and works with the individual/family to provide intensive post-adjudication follow-up, which often includes monitoring educational plan/school attendance/behavior, administration of drug screening, referral to outside resources, such as counseling, substance abuse assessments/treatment, and any other service ordered by the Judge.
Hammond, LA 70401Phone: 985.543.3290
C. Britain Sledge, III
Clerk of Court/ Juvenile Services Director
Guy Recotta 985.542.3455
Carolyn Davis 985.542.3465
Court Administrator/Records Custodian
Tony Licciardi 985.542.3455
Chief Financial Officer
Amy Giannobile 985.542.3468
Compliance and Security Officer
Steve Amos 985.542.3455
Civil / Small Claims
Melissa White 985.542.3450
Vince Deliberto 985.542.3450
Angela Lanaux 985.542.3450
Chantal Imes 985.542.3457
Christy Rohner 985.542.3457
Renee Barber 985.543.3290
Ashley Ard 985.543.3290
Kim Howes 985.542.3468
Andrea Smith 985.542.3455
Lesly Jones 985.542.3455
Loren Connelley 985.542.3455
Erica Carlson 985.542.3455
Juvenile Services Coordinator/Probation
Guy Recotta, Jr. 985.542.3455
FINS (Families In Need of Service)
Renee Barber 985.543.3290 (Hammond)
Ashley Ard 985.370.2196 (Ponchatoula)
Reggie Sanders 985.542.3455
Spanish Interpretor (Español)
Louisiana Supreme Court Approved Interpreter
Patricia Lopez 985-981-8809
Please click the link for the City Court of Hammond’s Sexual Harassment Policy: City Court of Hammond Sexual Harassment Policy