The City Court is a court of record that processes civil, criminal, traffic, and juvenile matters. It is the goal of the court to provide the citizens of the Seventh Ward with efficient and convenient access to justice.
The City Court Divisions
City Court of Hammond
Monday – Friday
City Court jurisdiction includes all of the 7th Ward from:
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU COME TO CRIMINAL OR TRAFFIC COURT:
- What payment methods do you accept for payment of fines, fees and court costs?
- City Court accepts Cash, Money Orders, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Card. NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED. A payment by mail postmarked AFTER your court appearance date must include an additional $125 fee. Credit card payments can also be made through the City Court website www.citycourt.org.
- Can I bring my cell phone to court?
- No Cell Phones are allowed in the building while Court is in session.
- What do I wear to court?
- No shorts, tank tops, flip flops or mini dresses are allowed in the court room.
- Do I have to pay my fines the day I come to court?
- You are expected to make a payment on your Fines and Court Cost the day you come to court. Failure to pay your fines timely will result in a warrant being issued for your arrest and your Driver’s License number will also be sent to the Department of Public Safety to be flagged for suspension.
- Can the Clerk of Court personnel help me with answers to legal questions?
- Any legal questions you wish answered prior to your appearance in court should be addressed to your attorney. Court and Clerk’s office personnel are prohibited by law and order of the court from giving legal advice.
- How do I request a foreign Language Interpreter or Deaf/Hearing Impaired Assistance?
- Contact the Clerk of Court, Guy Recotta, Jr., at 985-542-3455.
- Examples of Allowed Clear Bags
…reaching out to children and their families.
…because prevention is the best cure.